This olive oil mayonnaise takes less than 10 minutes to make. Using heart-healthy, hormone-balancing olive oil makes a perfect addition to a balanced diet.
Store-bought mayonnaise often contains inflammatory oils such as canola or soybean oil. With this mayonnaise in the fridge, you can rest easy that you are giving your body nothing but the best and it’s so quick to make!
Disclosure: As an Amazon Affiliate, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you choose to make a purchase by clicking on the links below. Thank you for your support!
Use room temperature eggs
The eggs will combine with the oil more easily if they are at the same temperature. Take your egg out of the fridge an hour before you plan to make the mayonnaise. If you don’t have time for that, leave it in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot!) water for 5 minutes to bring it to room temperature.
Add the oil slowly
The slower you add the oil, the creamier your mayonnaise will be. It also reduces the risk of the mayonnaise splitting.
Use light olive oil
The flavor of extra virgin oil is too strong for this recipe. Instead, opt for light olive oil. Despite the name, light olive oil does not contain fewer calories. It has a lighter color (pale yellow) rather than the green shades of high-quality extra virgin olive oil.
If your mayonnaise breaks…
Add another teaspoon of mustard to the mixture, then slowly mix it in. Adding the oil as slowly as possible helps to prevent the mayonnaise from splitting in the first place. Using the whole egg instead of just the yolk also helps to prevent the mayonnaise from breaking.
If you don’t have a blender…
A smoothie maker works too. It’s a little tricky pouring in the olive oil while keeping the motor running, but it’s manageable. You can also use an immersion blender, an electric whisk, or if you feel like a workout you can mix the whole thing by hand with a whisk or even a fork.
Notes on ingredients
This recipe uses raw eggs. If you feel uncomfortable using raw eggs, you can use a pasteurized egg. Pasteurized eggs are generally available in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.
Mustard helps to stabilize the mayonnaise and reduces the chances of splitting. I prefer to use Dijon mustard because it generally contains a very simple list of ingredients, other mustards often have artificial food coloring or sugar.
The acidity of the lemon juice also helps to stabilize the mixture and adds great flavor. You could also use vinegar as an acid to perform the same job, just replace one tablespoon of lemon juice for one tablespoon of white vinegar.
Olive oil contains monounsaturated fatty acids and is considered a healthy fat good for heart health and hormone balance. A trial in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that it can help regulate the hormone that regulates the appetite and stimulates digestion. However, olive oil is high in calories so be mindful when it comes to consumption.
Great ways to use olive oil mayonnaise
- Use it as a base for garlic mayonnaise in Ultimate Buffalo Wings with Garlic Mayonnaise
- Use it on a Buckwheat and Oat Flour Bread sandwich. I love a good turkey, lettuce, and tomato sandwich with some olive oil mayonnaise.
- Blend some oven-roasted red peppers and add a tablespoon to half a cup of mayonnaise for a delicious burger sauce.
- Chicken salad! Add to some roast chicken, celery, raisins, and apples. My favorite addition to this is fresh tarragon.
Mayonnaise will keep as long as your eggs are good, so check the date on your egg carton. If you’re not sure when your egg is due to expire, a good rule of thumb is to keep the olive oil mayonnaise in a sealed container in the fridge for no more than a week.
10 Minute Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- Measuring jug
- 1¼ cups light olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- Place ¼ cup of the olive oil, the egg, and mustard in the blender. Blend until combined.
- Leave the blender running and slowly drizzle in the remaining cup of olive oil.
- Add the salt and lemon juice and mix until just combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.