Minute mug cakes are perfect to whip up as a quick dessert or as a little treat. They only take a minute to cook in the microwave and can be easily customized to everyone’s tastes. This version is secretly healthy so no one will ever guess that they’re gluten-free and refined sugar-free!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you choose to make a purchase by clicking on the links below. Thank you for your support!
Tips for Making Minute Mug Cakes
- Use a large mug. The batter will rise and you don’t want it to overflow.
- Mix the batter really well. Little bits of scrambled egg don’t taste great in the cake.
- The cake might take more or less time depending on the strength of your microwave. Do one as a test and adjust the cooking time based on that.
Almond meal and coconut oil are both full of healthy fats. Healthy fats are essential for good hormone balance which regulates appetite, metabolism and feeling full. A 2018 study suggests that medium-chain fatty acids, such as those found in coconut oil, may work to regulate the cells responsible for the body’s response to insulin. Many women with PCOS suffer from insulin resistance so healthy fats are a great addition to a PCOS-friendly diet.
Notes on Ingredients
I prefer to use refined coconut oil so there is no coconut taste in the batter. Unrefined works equally well or you can substitute this for grass-fed melted butter.
You can also use almond flour which is a little pricier. It has a finer consistency and is made from blanched almonds. You cannot replace almond meal with coconut flour.
You can use either fresh or frozen. Frozen blueberries will release a lot of juice and the cakes won’t rise as high but they’ll still taste delicious.
It’s really important not to add more than two teaspoons of chia seeds. Chia seeds absorb a lot of liquid, so if you eat too many without enough fluids, they might cause digestive issues. You can also replace them with poppy seeds.
Check out these healthy dessert recipes…
- Lemon Almond Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Inexpensive Chickpea Blondies
- Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Boats on the BBQ
- The Best Healthy Pumpkin Pie
Don’t forget to Pin this recipe for later!
If you make this recipe, please let me know in the comments below or tag me on Instagram @lemonandsophia! I love hearing what people think and what changes or additions you make.
Minute Mug Cakes – Three Ways
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp blueberries
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chopped 85% dark chocolate
Lemon Chia Seed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Put the coconut oil in a mug and microwave until just melted, about 20 seconds. Add in the almond meal, egg, maple syrup, and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Stir in the ingredients for the flavor you want to make: Vanilla Blueberry, Double Chocolate, or Lemon Chia Seed. Add the blueberries to the top of the cake right before you microwave it. They'll sink to the bottom but you'll have a lovely blueberry sauce waiting for you when you get to it!
- Microwave for 60 seconds. Allow to cool before eating with a spoon straight out of the mug.