These Buffalo wings are simple, require minimal ingredients and prep time, and they are so delicious! Pair with garlic mayonnaise for the perfect, PCOS-friendly game day food.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Affiliate, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you choose to make a purchase by clicking on the links below. Thank you for your support!
Tips for making the perfect Buffalo wings
Use greaseproof paper to line the baking sheets
Line the baking sheet with greaseproof paper, not aluminum foil. Why? Because the skin of the chicken will stick to aluminum foil and we don’t want to lose that beautiful skin.
Avoid baking powder if you don’t want to smoke up your kitchen
Baking powder dries out the skin of the chicken making it crisp up in the oven. That’s great, but if any of it gets on the baking sheet, it smokes like crazy. Use olive oil and avoid the smoke alarm going off. When you coat the wings in Buffalo sauce they lose their crispiness pretty soon anyway.
Which hot sauce to use for Buffalo sauce
Frank’s Hot Sauce is PCOS-friendly. It contains cayenne red peppers, vinegar, water, salt and garlic powder. Aldi’s Burman Hot Sauce is also good. Basically, you want a hot sauce that doesn’t have any added sugar. You could use Tabasco but I don’t have the patience to wait for it to drip out of the bottle!
Note: None of these links are affiliate links. I have simply included them to make it easier for you to find which product I am referring to.
Tips for garlic mayonnaise
Use roasted garlic
You can easily make garlic mayonnaise by crushing a clove or two of fresh garlic and mixing it with mayonnaise. Raw garlic can be a bit overpowering. Roasted garlic is much more mellow and won’t leave your breath smelling quite so strong!
Why not blue cheese?
Blue cheese is the traditional accompaniment for Buffalo wings but dairy has not been proven to help PCOS. In fact, it has been linked to an increase in acne.
Avoid canola oil mayonnaise
Check the ingredients on the mayonnaise to ensure there it is not made with canola oil. It has been linked to increased inflammation. Olive oil mayonnaise is much better for PCOS.
Allow the bulb of garlic to cool
After you have roasted the garlic, allow it to cool completely before you peel the skin off. It’s much easier when the cloves have shrunk away from the skin.
Buffalo chicken wings are also great with celery sticks and carrot sticks!
Ultimate Buffalo Wings with Garlic Mayonnaise
- 2 baking sheets
- Greaseproof paper
- Aluminum foil
- 2 lbs chicken wings (about 12 wings)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup hot sauce
Chicken Wings and Garlic Mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Coat the chicken wings with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange chicken wings on the baking sheets so they are not touching each other.
- Cut the top off the bulb of garlic so the tips of the cloves are removed. Drizzle oil over the top of the bulb then wrap in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet next to the chicken wings.
- Bake the wings and bulb of garlic for 30 minutes. Flip the wings over and gently squeeze the garlic to check if it's done. If it is soft, it's done. If not, bake another 10 minutes. Leave the wings in for another 20-30 minutes until they're cooked.
- Allow the bulb of garlic to cool. When it is cool remove the skin from the cloves and mash with a fork. Mix the paste into the mayonnaise.
- While the wings are baking, melt the butter and mix with the hot sauce.
- When the wings are cooked, coat with the Buffalo sauce and serve with the garlic mayonnaise.